Tuesday, February 18, 2014

PASTEL STUDIES - WARM AND COOL


Recently a Pastel Workshop by Lyn Asselta was made available in Dunedin FL. She was going to teach how to go beyond the Blues and Greens found in landscapes.  Looking at my landscape paintings I realized the majority of the colors were blues and greens and I was having a heck of a time expanding my color pallette so I jumped at the chance to take it.  The workshop took me way beyond my comfort zone and I learned a great deal.  Many years ago my art journey started in pastels but in the last few years my focus has been  working in oils, pen and ink, and pencil sketching.  But I've always had a passion for pastels so now it's like  "returning to my roots".  I've learned a great deal of practical application for pastels recently which has made them more "useable" for me.
WARM AND COOL was an exercise in Lyn's workshop that shows the extreme effects of Temperature in a painting.  For years it's been challenged on identify Warm and Cool colors.  Always have to stop and think "is this a warm or cool  color". Now I realize it's All about Relationships.  I've heard it many times before but it's really sinking in now.  A color is effected by all the colors that are around it.  Some things take years to learn.  This is one of them.  I know it to be true with values, now I'm getting a greater understanding with colors.  It's always good to get out of one's comfort zone.  That's when you learn something!!  No pain, no gain!



No comments:

Post a Comment